Odessa, TX asked in Criminal Law for Oklahoma

Q: If you have been sentenced two years in oklahoma but have a hold in texas do you have to do the full two before transfer

My husband was offered a two year sentence ran consecutive with his three in texas or a four year ran concurrent with his three in texas which he's already done all his time in texas accept for 7 months which would be the best option to take?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy J. Pickens
Timothy J. Pickens
  • Tulsa, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: It would be helpful to know the specifics about your husband's Oklahoma conviction. However, from your information, the 2 year consecutive seems better than a 4 year concurrent. Because, if he has already served all but 7 months in Texas then theoretically he should only have 2 years and 7 months instead of 4 years and 7 months. At anyrate, the department of corrections can increase or decrease his time in for any number of reasons. You should schedule an appoitment with a local Oklahoma criminal defense attorney to discuss the specifics of your husbands case. TJP

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.