North Grafton, MA asked in Collections for Massachusetts

Q: How do I make collections agencies and a local law firm STOP calling me? They refuse to correct a phone number error.

For more than 15 years, I have received phone calls for a person who has never lived at my address. I researched the person's name and discovered they have a very similar phone number (a simple transposition of 2 numbers). These calls have come from 7 different collections agencies and one Massachusetts law firm. I have told each caller to simply correct the phone number and they will be able to collect on the debt. Every agency has REFUSED to change the number. The Massachusetts law firm rep actually laughed at me, long and loud. How do I make them stop calling?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
David B. Levin
David B. Levin
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Chicago, IL

A: Talk to a consumer protection lawyer in your area. Though I can't draw any conclusions here, it is possible that the agency or agencies contacting you are in violation of one or more consumer protection statutes, and you may be entitled to damages in addition to putting a stop to the calls.

*David Levin is the Partner in charge of UpRight Law's consumer rights litigation department. UpRight Law is a national law firm with licensed attorneys providing bankruptcy and consumer legal services in all 50 states. He is licensed in Illinois, Ohio and West Virginia, as well as several United States District Courts. He has 22 years of litigation experience, the last 18 of which have been focused on consumer rights litigation. This response is for informational purposes only and is not intended to be legal advice. For legal advice, consult an attorney licensed in your state with the appropriate expertise.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.