Sacramento, CA asked in Child Custody for California

Q: My friend was previously denied custody of her girls missed C-date, dad went to prison just now, where will the kids go?

My friend lost custody of her two daughters previously for missing a court date. One kid went to her mother, the other went to her father/ex-husband. The father/ex-husband went to prison for possession of child pornography. Will the daughter go to said friend's mother or will it go to her? If she goes to her mother, what can she do to try and get her kids back? Also to make things a bit more problematic, she is here in California but all of this business with her kids and the mom and the father/ex-husband is in Texas.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Gina Marie Famularo
Gina Marie Famularo
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Corona, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Your friend needs to immediately consult with and obtain an attorney in Texas. I cannot advise her on the laws of Texas, but in California, she would likely obtain custody.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.