San Antonio, TX asked in Collections for Texas

Q: I had a default judgment 18 months ago for a credit card I did not pay, but they did not contact me anymore, what this

Means? What do I have to do? Thanks for your time

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
David B. Levin
David B. Levin
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • Chicago, IL

A: A judgment in Texas is typically valid for ten years and can be renewed. There are a few options for addressing a judgment when the creditor is not attempting to collect. For example, some people simply wait until they hear from the creditor or a collection agency. This may buy time, but also may mean that the judgment is levied abruptly with a wage garnishment or other collection activity. Some choose to reach out to the creditor and initiate payment arrangements. The starting point for this would generally be contacting the attorney who obtained the judgment on behalf of the creditor. Depending on the nature of the debt, bankruptcy may be another option--most unsecured debt can be eliminated entirely.

A local lawyer would be in a better position to look at the judgment and other aspects of your financial situation and advise you regarding your options.

*David Levin is the Partner in charge of UpRight Law's consumer rights litigation department. UpRight Law is a national law firm with licensed attorneys providing bankruptcy and consumer legal services in all 50 states. He is licensed in Illinois, Ohio and West Virginia, as well as several United States District Courts. He has 22 years of litigation experience, the last 18 of which have been focused on consumer rights litigation. This response is for informational purposes only and is not intended to be legal advice. For legal advice, consult an attorney licensed in your state with the appropriate expertise.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.