Chandler, AZ asked in Gov & Administrative Law for Arizona

Q: What court do I go to to sue a municipal court to get a civil fine dropped that I shouldn't even have?

Some years back, I had a court date to appear with proof that I had insurance on my vehicle on the date of a traffic stop and the charge would be dismissed. Now, I did have proof of insurance, however on the day of the appearance, I was incarcerated and the court fined me for FTA and the insurance ticket. I have since taken the proof of insurance into the court. as well as proof of incarceration and the judge told me that all he could do was cut the fine in half because the fine was a "civil matter". What kind of BS is that?! You can't be held responsible for an FTA if the incarcerating agency didn't get you to the hearing. Plus I showed proof that I had coverage, so, why aren't they lifting the fine? Had I gone to the hearing when I was incarcerated, it would've been dismissed. I've done nothing wrong to deserve a fine at all.Yet, I have a $1200 fine keeping my license suspended.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Adam Studnicki
Adam Studnicki
  • Phoenix, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: If you are unhappy with a court's ruling, there is usually a way to appeal, although deadlines apply.

Please Take Notice: I am not your lawyer unless we enter into an engagement agreement in writing. This is only general information. It is NOT legal advice, and it may not work for your specific situation. It is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the relevant facts and documents. I strongly encourage you to consult with a local lawyer to get...

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.