Gainesville, FL asked in Immigration Law for Florida

Q: How to obtain a J1 no objection waiver?

I was in the US o na USAID sponsored exchange for a year. I satisfied about 16 months of my two year rule requirement before coming back to the US for grad school. I recently got married to a US citizen and would like to obtain a waiver so I can apply for a green card. Out of all waiver option, the no-objection statement appears to be the only one I would qualify for. Returning to my country for 8 months is not an option because I am overqualified (with my latest degree) and there are no jobs for me. However, since my exchange was sponsored by USAID I was told that I would be likely issues an unfavorable decision in regards to my waiver request. Did anyone have experience obtaining a no objection waiver for USAID sponsored (1-year) exhange? And if so, what would be the best way to approach my case in the statement of reason? Would the fact that I satisfied about months of my two year rule requirement already be regarded favorably by the sponsor or not?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Robert Jason De Groot
Robert Jason De Groot
  • Deltona, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Immigration attorneys rarely answer questions on this forum. You have to actually go see one for the specific advice that you need.

Martins I. Imudia
Martins I. Imudia
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Clearwater, FL

A: You apply through the state department. A letter of support from your country of origin is needed. Please speak with an experienced immigration attorney to assist you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.