Blanchard, OK asked in Estate Planning for Oklahoma

Q: My stepmother lives in Florida and owns real estate in Oklahoma which has a mortgage she is paying. She set up a revocab

My stepmother lives in Florida and owns real estate in Oklahoma which has a mortgage she is paying. She set up a revocable trust in Florida naming the Oklahoma property to be added. To transfer the property to the trust does she just need to quit claim deed it in Oklahoma to her trust in Florida? If so, are there any additional steps needed? Does the mortgage still get paid in its installment payments from the trust after she dies?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tyler R. Barrett
Tyler R. Barrett
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Norman, OK
  • Licensed in Oklahoma

A: In order to transfer the property to her trust, your stepmother will need to execute a quit claim deed and record such in the land records of the county in Oklahoma where the property is located. Prior to doing so, she should confirm that no one else is on the title to the property. I recommend that she consult with an attorney about this matter.

As for your question regarding the mortgage payments, this really just depends on how the trust provisions are written. Without reviewing the trust, I cannot give you a definitive answer.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.