Georgetown, KY asked in Criminal Law and Elder Law for Kentucky

Q: If a family members stolen $13,000 by using a debit card, police report was filed and a detective was asigned

And waiting an arrest warrant can the charges be dropped simply because the person has agreed to repay the money? Mind you that at this point the bank has already returned $10,000 of the money. This would be a daughter stealing from her father with severe dementia. Elder abuse charges were also filed. The daughter has gone into hiding but sending emails that she full intentions of working to pay this money back.

Have spoken with the detective a few weeks back and said she would be changed with a class c felony along with elder abuse charges. At that point said an arrest warrat would be served soon.

Is it possible for these charges to be dropped by the father? He is now with a sister who has power of attorney over him

Is it possible the detective has given her a window to make payment arrangements?

Is there any was she can wiggle out of these charges?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Robert Jason De Groot
Robert Jason De Groot
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Deltona, FL

A: No, no, no. Theft is actionable in criminal court. She needs to get a criminal defense attorney on her side. Before she has someone post more questions on the internet which admit guilt she should seek the advice of a local criminal defense attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.