Niles, MI asked in Immigration Law for Michigan

Q: Dad:Draft evader with reinstated US citizenship.Me:Canadian but resident of US for 31 years. Can I get US citizenship?

My Dad was a draft evader during Vietnam, left for Canada, married our Canadian mom. Did not renounce citizenship. We moved back to US when I was 11 and I have been a legal resident alien since. Dad was given his US passport and citizenship back just a few years ago. My brother and I would like to know if we might be given US citizenship too because of Dad, or do we need to go through the whole process? We would have chosen US citizenship when we turned 18 if we had known our Dad was able to get his US citizenship back.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Shan Dimitris Potts

  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Glendale, CA

A: What do you mean when you say you have been a resident for 31 years? Have you been a legal permanent resident?

Martins I. Imudia

  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Tampa, FL

A: You need to go through the whole process on your own. Good luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.