Morrow, OH asked in Car Accidents for Ohio

Q: I was involved in an auto accident.

The other party was at fault and the driver is 17 and still in high school. My car is totaled and the insurance payout will not cover buying a similar make/model auto. Am I able to sue for the difference? And if so who do I sue, the 17 year old driver or the parents?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Brian Smith Esq

  • Rocky River, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: It sounds as though you could sue. Generally, an attorney would seek to include as many people who may potentially be liable in the suit (e.g., driver, parents, owner of car).

Matthew S Flemming agrees with this answer

Matthew S Flemming

  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Cleveland, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: Mr. Smith is correct. You will want to try and speak with an attorney who will determine what the best course of action and therefore recovery is for your case. The attorney will know which parties to seek recovery from.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.