Asked in Criminal Law for North Dakota

Q: Can I file a restraining order against a man to whom I am not related? I live in Dickinson, ND.

I was recently assaulted by an individual visiting a neighbor. The woman doing the assaulting was arrested. The neighbor has continued to harass me and taken and destroyed property (he has been harassing me before the assault-I "rejected" him-he has tried to get my attention). I filed a restraining order but the judge "dismissed" it. I never saw the judge and never saw the dismissal paperwork. The only way I knew was the Court Clerk called and told me. Bless her heart. One police officer says he doesn't know of any drug use of this neighbor when the neighbor himself has told me of drug use. The aforementioned officer has told me this neighbor often "helps" the Dickinson PD. Can I refile the request for a restraining order, and is there a formula that makes a petition more acceptable to a court?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Robert Jason De Groot
Robert Jason De Groot
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Deltona, FL

A: You have to see a local attorney for a complete discussion about this.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.