Virginia Beach, VA asked in Wrongful Death for Virginia

Q: My sister was killed by her son and her daughter was in there too. They were all having an argument can I sue?

My nephew shot and killed my sister and my niece was there too he was 18 she was 24. They were having an argument with my sister who was 46 when the shooting accord. A jury trial is October 29 and 30. I have been through check and back with this and have been struggling with PTSD because of this. Can I sue for wrongful death? It took place in Appomattox Virginia.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

A: A local lawyer can advise. Issues to figure out are whether you can recover under VA law and whether any judgement would be collectible.

Please Take Notice: I am not your lawyer unless we enter into an engagement agreement in writing. This is only general information. It is NOT legal advice, and it may not work for your specific situation. It is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the relevant facts and documents. I strongly encourage you to consult with a local lawyer to get legal advice and help with your specific situation at your earliest convenience. I am licensed to practice law in Arizona.

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing

A: You could, but if they have no money your suit would have to be paid for by you as there would be no source for the attorney to get paid for under a contingent fee. Possible that someone could be responsible if a gun was involved. Contact a member of the Virginia Trial Lawyers Assn. who handles product liaibility cases.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.