Fort Lauderdale, FL asked in Immigration Law for Florida

Q: Will I be accepted with an Advanced Parole even though I overstayed more than 1 year (or stayed unlawfully)?

I came to the US on a F-1 visa, and I would go back home every holiday. However one time I forgot my I-20. I was given an I-595A form and 30 days to submit my I-20 form, but I failed to do so. The I-94 given to me then expired in Feb, 14th. I stayed here in the U.S. and continued to study ever since. Have not left the country as well. Now, I just got married to my U.S. citizen spouse and she applied for a Green Card for me. I would like to go home for the holidays, but I am afraid I will be denied entry even with an Advance Parole document. I overstayed more than 1 year so I am afraid if ill be banned for 10 years. I found an article that addressed this issue. Here:

What should I do? What can I do?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Robert Jason De Groot
Robert Jason De Groot
  • Deltona, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Immigration attorneys rarely answer questions on this forum. Go see one.

Christina Marie Turovskiy
Christina Marie Turovskiy
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Cleveland, OH

A: In Matter of Arrabally Yerrabelly, the Board of Immigration Appeals held that a departure under advance parole does not trigger the unlawful presence bar. But still, each time you depart from the US without lawful status you are taking a risk. An immigration officer might still find a reason to deny you reentry even if you are approved for advance parole. Check with an an immigration attorney to review your particular details and ensure there are no other reasons that might trigger inadmissibility.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.