Johns Island, SC asked in Business Law for South Carolina

Q: Club By Laws

I have been a member of a club for the last 30+ years. This club has always charged dues to meet expenses. For the past several years the club has experienced a positive cash flow. The previous administration concluded that the organization didn’t need the excess funds that resided in the treasury. That administration passed a motion granting all members a 5 year dues hiatus, thereby extending everyone’s membership by 5 additional years.

A new administration took office and immediately rescinded the previous dues motion, thereby reducing everybody’s membership.

Can a benefit granted by a previous administration be rescinded? If not, what redress do I have against the individual directors who voted for the new motion?

Thank you

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: It is probably going to cost you many thousands of dollars to file a lawsuit to find out. Perhaps a few of the members should go to speak with a local attorney about this.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.