South Carolina Business Law Questions & Answers

Q: can I use part of a trade marked name in my website name?

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law and Copyright for South Carolina on
Answered on May 28, 2018
John Espinosa's answer
Yes, they can. You need to hire an attorney with experience in trademark defense to advise you on how to best proceed.

Q: How long does a credit app/payment terms stay valid with a vendor? Does it expire? It's been 8 years since filed.

1 Answer | Asked in Bankruptcy, Business Law, Collections and Construction Law for South Carolina on
Answered on May 7, 2018
Timothy Denison's answer
If you actually received the goods, then the app/credit terms is a contract valid until paid or until the statute of limitations in your state expires. If you did not receive the goods per the app/credit terms, then there is no contract and no monies are due.

Q: I have aslyum filed i got my SSN and work autorizan permit Can i open my own gas station? Can i get bear licenc

1 Answer | Asked in Employment Discrimination, Business Formation, Business Law and Immigration Law for South Carolina on
Answered on Apr 30, 2018
Carl Shusterman's answer
Yes, with your EAD you can work for an employer or you can start your own business.

Q: What are the laws on selling alcohol in a drive thru convenience store in SC? Curbside sales, etc.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Business Law and Municipal Law for South Carolina on
Answered on Feb 20, 2018
D. Nathan Davis' answer
South Carolina has never allowed drive-through alcohol sales and it would take a change in the ABC Regulations to accomplish this. It is not believed that there is a chance such a rule would pass as the Mothers Against Drunk Drivers would come out in force to stop what they believe would encourage drinking and driving.

Q: I'm a subcontractor in S.C. If I hire me (1) helper and pay him a flat salary, do I have to carry worker's comp. on him?

2 Answers | Asked in Employment Law, Workers' Compensation and Business Law for South Carolina on
Answered on Feb 14, 2018
Carole Jean Hayes' answer
If you only have one employee, in South Carolina you do not need to have workers' compensation insurance.

Q: How can I get an adjacent business to stop using our parking lot for their employees and customers

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law for South Carolina on
Answered on Nov 10, 2017
Salim U. Shaikh's answer
There are couple of solutions : (i) erect a fence at your side of parking and put a signboard "P for xxxxx" etc. or (ii) Parking only for xxxxx employees or customers of xxx etc. if permitted to do so. Last but not the least, as you intend to buy out make them an offer if affordable or they agree to sell.

Q: "Short term" notice on not renewing lease by the landlord

1 Answer | Asked in Business Formation and Business Law for South Carolina on
Answered on Nov 2, 2017
Taylor Silver's answer
Seek out a local attorney to review your current lease and advise you of your options. Your lease terms will generally control in extension disputes provided it complies with statutes and common law requirements.

A consultation of this nature should not take all that long or be prohibitively expensive, especially when compared to the cost of moving a restaurant.

**This answer is provided for general information purposes only and is not intended to be legal advice. This answer...

Q: My wife has a business with the name of sheeps and peeps as well as having an EIN number and she would like to place it

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law for South Carolina on
Answered on Sep 30, 2017
Salim U. Shaikh's answer
One need to be vigilant before entering into business, Confusion in calling of name may arise, however, she may properly identify the one whom she is involved in business. Asking their registration details, no. and other details etc. that make the one distinct from the other.

Q: I've bought a used car and the next day the transmission stops. Anything legal I can do? I purchased as is but one day?

1 Answer | Asked in Products Liability, Business Formation, Business Law and Lemon Law for South Carolina on
Answered on Mar 18, 2017
Peter Munsing's answer
If the warranty covers drive train it should. You want to find out what the problem was. If it'something they have to know about, then you can go after them. File a complaint with better business bureau, with the attorney General;s office of consumer affairs.

Q: Club By Laws

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law for South Carolina on
Answered on Oct 18, 2015
Robert Jason De Groot's answer
It is probably going to cost you many thousands of dollars to file a lawsuit to find out. Perhaps a few of the members should go to speak with a local attorney about this.

Q: what do I need in order to make my business an LLC?

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law for South Carolina on
Answered on Aug 30, 2015
Adam Studnicki's answer
A local business lawyer can advise you about this situation and assist you in properly forming the entity.

Please Take Notice: I am not your lawyer unless we enter into an engagement agreement in writing. This is general information that is given for legal education only. It is not legal advice, and it may not work for your specific situation. It is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the relevant facts and documents. I strongly...

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.