Billings, MT asked in Civil Litigation for Montana

Q: I am residing in montana. A police officer tried to serve me a subpoena over facebook...

I am residing in montana. A police officer tried to serve me a subpoena over facebook i did not see the message i just saw a preview of the message saying that there was a subpoena. I have since deactivated my facebook. My question is this; is it legal to serve a subpoena over facebook? Also what should be my next actions if i do not wish to go to court? Could i send in a motion to quash on the basis of hardship? I am technically homeless and without a job and over 100 miles away. Please anything is appreciated.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

A: Service of process must be done in person, not on facebook. You will have to see a local attorney about the other matters you raised, as well as this one.

A: I'm guessing that the officer was being lazy, and trying to get you to waive service of process. I strongly doubt that he filed a return of service alleging that he had actually served you on Facebook.

No, I don't think you can successfully get a valid service of process quashed "on the basis of hardship". If you don't want to go to court (assuming it is a civil case), you probably don't have to. The worst that could happen is that a default judgment could be entered against you. If you are indeed homeless and without a job it is likely that you are also judgment proof.

I suggest that you call the clerk of court and ask of a return of service was indeed filed. You could, in that case, probably get it quashed as improper service. If a court hearing is set you may be able to arrange to participate by telephone.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.