Chattanooga, TN asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law, Family Law and Juvenile Law for Tennessee

Q: I have not seen my kids in over 5 years. I pay child support each week and I have been through multiple court battles

the mother never shows up for court. the mediation never gets settled. the courts do not punish her for contempt. and i have ran out of money to keep paying an attorney for this issue. Can i sign my parental rights away?

1 Lawyer Answer
Eugene L. Belenitsky
Eugene L. Belenitsky
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Pine Brook, NJ

A: Yes, but you still have to pay child support until someone adopts the children or they reach age of majority.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.