Tennessee Arbitration / Mediation Law Questions & Answers

Q: I have an interlock device installed in my car. I have finished the 6 month period. I'm planning on selling the car.

1 Answer | Asked in DUI / DWI and Arbitration / Mediation Law for Tennessee on
Answered on Jul 17, 2018
Anthony Marvin Avery's answer
You are better off first complying with all Court Sentencing requirements, then contacting the Department of Safety and complying with their requirements to obtain a Tennessee Driver's License. Putting the alcohol device on the car is expensive and you need to get your money's worth prior to driving another vehicle without it. Once you have a regular License, with or without SR-22, then trade cars.

Q: I was married in Louisiana I currently reside in Tennessee how do I divorce my spouse and get custody issues settled

1 Answer | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law, Child Custody and Divorce for Tennessee on
Answered on May 11, 2018
Leonard Robert Grefseng's answer
Sorry, but much more information is needed to determine where you sound file for divorce. Based on the brief info provided, my first impression is to hire an attorney in Louisiana. Louisiana law differs from the rest of the United States in some ways because of its history as a French colony ( remember the Louisiana Purchase?) . You must be a resident of Tennessee for at least 6 months before you can file for divorce, but if you wife has never lived here, it may not be possible to sue her for...

Q: The Contract says Arbitration is the remedy - the builder refused to Arbitrate

1 Answer | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law for Tennessee on
Answered on Feb 7, 2018
Bennett James Wills' answer
You may have to file a lawsuit to compel arbitration by court order. Consult with a local attorney.

Q: I'm disabled and have debts I owe....can the court of TN. Place a lien on my vehicle?

1 Answer | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law, Civil Litigation, Collections and Consumer Law for Tennessee on
Answered on Oct 31, 2017
Leonard Robert Grefseng's answer
yes, if you get sued and lose, the judgment against you becomes a lien on ANY property you own. The judgment is good for 10 years, and will attach to property you acquire in the future during that 10 year period. Perhaps you should consult a bankruptcy lawyer.

Q: Prose respondent being crushed in an unfair arbitration. Is there a legitimate motion that can be filed in any court?

1 Answer | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law for Tennessee on
Answered on Oct 30, 2015
Terrence H Thorgaard's answer
Yes, you probably need to file a motion, but unfortunately it appears that it would be best done by an attorney.

Q: I have not seen my kids in over 5 years. I pay child support each week and I have been through multiple court battles

1 Answer | Asked in Arbitration / Mediation Law, Family Law and Juvenile Law for Tennessee on
Answered on Oct 23, 2015
Eugene L. Belenitsky's answer
Yes, but you still have to pay child support until someone adopts the children or they reach age of majority.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.