Tacoma, WA asked in Divorce and Family Law for Washington

Q: Can my husband lay claim to a child that is not his if we have been separated for over a year?

My 28 year old husband had an affair with a 16 year old 1 1/2 years ago! We've been separated since, and he has been in a relationship with her since! I started dating about 8 months ago, and am currently expecting a child with another man! He threatened that if I try to push him into divorce, he will try and claim the child as his because we're still married! Obviously, we're not together and I don't want him to raise this child! Can he do this? I live in WA and I'm not sure of the laws regarding this! How can I protect myself, my child, and my child's father from this?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: He can claim, but DNA testing will easily prove his claim to be false.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.