Birmingham, AL asked in Communications Law and Criminal Law for Alabama

Q: Do I have a civil case against woman who had me arrested for harassing communications?

Woman had an affair with my husband. All three of us taught in same school at the time. I told her current department in her new school what she had done via email. She contacted police and a bench warrant was issued. She omitted the background information about the affair, if that matters. Pled not guilty, case was dismissed. Because we live in different states, I was arrested at my home and detained as a fugitive of justice. I did not know there was a warrant issued. I would like to recover costs for my attorney and for time spent in jail.

1 Lawyer Answer
Robert Jason De Groot
Robert Jason De Groot
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Deltona, FL

A: Talk to your attorney about the possibility of filing a suit for malicious prosecution, if that is available in your jurisdiction, or perhaps the jurisdiction that you were criminally charged.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.