Asked in Consumer Law for Illinois

Q: I'm being sued for the value of an automobile instead of them repossessing it.

My wife is on the loan and they are not suing her. I went to court to get a new date so I can find an attorney. My work schedule doesn't allow me to adequately search for one. What can I do to prolong the judgement so I can find an attorney?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Drew R. Ball
Drew R. Ball
  • Chicago, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: You can always request a continuance for time to find an attorney and generally the Judge will grant it. Simply request that this matter be continued in 30 days once I have time to find an attorney who can enter an appearance.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.