Buffalo, NY asked in Criminal Law for New York

Q: My baby father and I was in a dispute in Ohio. I called the police and he was arrested. I had to write a statement and

I told them that I didn't want to press charges, I just didn't want him back in my car. Even though I didn't want to press charges the state of Ohio picked it up. We live in New York State. This is his first offense. What will happen to him?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Julie Rendelman
Julie Rendelman
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • New York, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: It depends on many factors, including whether he has a prior criminal record. It is up to the Ohio prosecutor's office to decide whether to pursue the case. While your lack of interest in pressing charges is a factor, they can still choose to pursue the case if they want to. With that said, it is obviously more difficult for them to pursue a case if you are not willing to assist them.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.