Metairie, LA asked in Collections and Consumer Law for Louisiana

Q: Can I dispute a bill I made a payment on in 2007? The bill is from Maryland College and I live in Louisiana.

I registered for online classes but failed to drop them. Can I still ask them to provide legal documentation which holds me accountable for this debt? I don't recall signing any paperwork.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Samuel John Ford
Samuel John Ford
  • Consumer Law Lawyer
  • New Orleans, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: You likely can still dispute the bill and may have defenses to collection of the alleged debt. If you are being contacted by debt collectors, there are federal and state laws that provide dispute rights and protection from unfair collection practices.

I recommend speaking to a Louisiana consumer attorney regarding the details of your situation so you can fully understand your rights.

**Please note that the above is general information and not subject to an attorney-client relationship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.