Owings Mills, MD asked in Elder Law for Maryland

Q: have life estate on father's PA home; POA has blown all $ fast on care & wants to get a reverse mortgage; can she do it

She is spending his $ at a rate of $10/hr. (under the table) on 24/7 care using Social Security, pension & now VA income. Not all his caretakers are CNAs (or are they called PCAs now?). - At 95, he is still deemed competent by a quick verbal 10-question competency test, but has not a full-blown exam. He has been adamant about staying in his home. I talked myself blue in the face on how he could easily manage his hard-earned assets (as a blue-collar worker w/ 11th grade education) in perpetuity by moving to assisted living. - He removed me (only child) as POA late May 2015 when I would not authorize more than 8 hrs./day ComfortKeepers care. - I am also worried about that terrible PA law that allow providers to sue children for unpaid end-of-life care bills even though the children did not financially obligate themselves by signing any paperwork. I have much of my assets in a Tradional IRA & plan to move $11,000 into a Roth for the '15 & '16 tax years - I am angry & frightened. HELP!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Adam Studnicki
Adam Studnicki

A: Sounds like potential elder financial abuse by POA. Talk to an elder law lawyer in your area.

Please Take Notice: I am not your lawyer unless we enter into an engagement agreement in writing. This is only general information. It is NOT legal advice, and it may not work for your specific situation. It is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the relevant facts and documents. I strongly encourage you to consult with a local lawyer to get legal advice and help with your specific situation at your earliest convenience. I am licensed to practice law in Arizona.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.