Osprey, FL asked in Criminal Law for Florida

Q: How can my 93-year-old friend get information about her incarcerated son - he is gravely ill and probably dying....

He is in a prison-related medical facility in FL - I have tried to help her, but they refuse to give her information. It is making her ill. She has very low income and cannot afford a lawyer.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Elizabeth Bourdon
Elizabeth Bourdon
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Orlando, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: The inmate has the same right of confidentiality to his medical records while in prison that he would if he were in a hospital. For your friend to get information, she would need him to have filled out a medical release form.

Here is an email she can write to to see what general information they will give her: faq.health@mail.dc.state.fl.us

Here is a general link from the Department of Corrections' website regarding inmate medical issues: http://www.dc.state.fl.us/oth/inmates/health.html#1

Good luck :)

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.