Denver, CO asked in Employment Law and Workers' Compensation for Colorado

Q: Hi, Employment Law, Workers Compensation

Employee slipped on parking lot outside working premises while getting ready to come in for work. Filed Workers Compensation, they accepted stating that in Colorado even if it didn't happen inside the premises it's still workers comp. That happened in November. Insurance asked us to take her back for part time modified work duties (per doctors written recommendations) with less hours and pay. It was a concern from before with her negative attitude, gossiping issues and we orally told her a week ago what are the expectations. And yet, she went to coworkers and told them that she has a lawyer and basically she knows management will be informed about it. So, she uses that tactic to threaten and get her way at work and spoil good morale for employees What are our options? No one likes her at work. When is the appropriate time by law after injury happened to terminate employee? We also want to give her Warning to prepare but we doubt it will help.

1 Lawyer Answer
Tristan Kenyon Schultz
Tristan Kenyon Schultz
  • Fort Collins, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: There are a lot of variables here, so I recommend that you/employer retain an attorney for advice along the way. This will be a process, but you will be able to correct any problems with a bad employee. First, there is no strict limit when an employee can be terminated (but the closer a termination occurs from injury claim the greater the chance that a discrimination claim will occur). Mostly the goal should be to follow every aspect of the employment/insurance agreement (allowing her to work, providing reasonable accommodations, etc.), while creating a case file for all the bad acts of the employee. Warning are good things (if they don't work, all the better because it improves your case for termination). Key here is to as the employer look reasonable and allow the employee to become more and more unreasonable. Again, contact an attorney to provide specific guidance.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.