Moorhead, MN asked in Education Law and Immigration Law for Minnesota

Q: I lived in the USA illegally for 9 months after my visa expired. What chances do I have to get a new visa?

I lived in the USA illegally for 9 months. I was on a F1 visa but it got expired and I didn't renew it which also means my Sevis is deactivated. Now, I would like to get back to school. I have a readmission form and a new I-20 from my school. Is it going to be possible to get a visa after living in the country illegally?

PS: I heard it can be possible if you didn't stay illegally for more than a year.

1 Lawyer Answer
Shan Dimitris Potts
Shan Dimitris Potts
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Glendale, CA

A: Although it might be possible there is no guarantee that you will be given another F1 visa. The final decision in this situation will be taken by the CBP officer who will be interviewing you. There may be waivers available to you, contact an immigration attorney to consult regarding this situation. Many immigration attorneys including me offer free consultations, make use of the consultations. All the best.

-Shan Potts

Like our facebook page for regular immigration and visa updates -

15 years of successful immigration law experience. The answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.