Minnesota Education Law Questions & Answers

Q: I enrolled to high school with a b1b2 visabefore changing it to f1 am I eligible to change it now?

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law and Immigration Law for Minnesota on
Answered on Nov 6, 2018
Hector E. Quiroga's answer
You are in violation of your B1B2 status right now. Your best bet of having any hope of getting an F-1 is by dropping out of school.

Q: What's the typical cost of fighting a college expulsion for plagiarism?

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law for Minnesota on
Answered on Jun 4, 2018
Joseph A. Gangi's answer
The cost will likely vary depending on the complexity of the allegations, the school, the internal appeal process, and the individual attorney, among other things.

Q: Do I have the right to go see my child in school if i don't have custody of my child but I do pay child support?

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Child Support, Education Law and Family Law for Minnesota on
Answered on Mar 26, 2018
D. Patrick McCullough's answer
There are two types of Custody-Legal and Physical and it depends upon what your Judgment and Decree says.

Q: I work in several schools and wondering if you can help with a couple of questions to clarify questions that I get.

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law, Copyright and Trademark for Minnesota on
Answered on Feb 23, 2018
Benton R Patterson III's answer
Generally, creating and selling branded items with someone else's trademark, like a professional sports team, is trademark infringement and is against the law. In most cases, making 3D printed objects is fine. If you are creating and selling copyright protected characters, you could run into a legal problem. An attorney would need to review the specific item to advise on what legal liabilities exist.

Q: Myself and 28 other previous Le Cordon Bleu students were misled and need legal advice and representation. Who can help

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, Education Law and Consumer Law for Minnesota on
Answered on Jul 31, 2016
Lucas Wynne's answer
Attorneys cannot solicit business on the internet under the ethical rules that all attorneys must follow. However, you can contact any attorney you would like to work with via telephone or email. I suggest you contact an attorney immediately for a free consultation and to investigate this case further.

Q: I attend a private school. Students phones are routinely seized and searched for minor policy infractions?

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law and Contracts for Minnesota on
Answered on Jul 21, 2016
Lucas Wynne's answer
Schools are allowed to exhibit a greater deal of control over students in the school than would be allowed in other situations. The contract isn't so much a legal contract as it is a "behavior contract" for the purpose of communicating the policy to students. The school is allowed to set its own policies as long as they are reasonable. Thus, yes - the school is well within its authority.

Q: Recently tried out for the HS softball team but was rejected because they believed I would injure erbs palesy arm

1 Answer | Asked in Civil Rights and Education Law for Minnesota on
Answered on Jul 19, 2016
Lucas Wynne's answer
More would need to be known before an attorney could properly evaluate your case, but feel free to give one a call as I believe this could be handled at a rather reasonable cost. The attorney would want to know 1) If a doctor has cleared you to play sports; and 2) Whether everybody made the team.

If you can obtain this information, it would be possible for an attorney to write a letter to the school to open negotiations for your participation in sports. Most schools will play hardball...

Q: I lived in the USA illegally for 9 months after my visa expired. What chances do I have to get a new visa?

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law and Immigration Law for Minnesota on
Answered on Jan 28, 2016
Shan Dimitris Potts' answer
Although it might be possible there is no guarantee that you will be given another F1 visa. The final decision in this situation will be taken by the CBP officer who will be interviewing you. There may be waivers available to you, contact an immigration attorney to consult regarding this situation. Many immigration attorneys including me offer free consultations, make use of the consultations. All the best.

-Shan Potts

Like our facebook page for regular immigration and visa...

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.