Lakeland, FL asked in Criminal Law for Florida

Q: Criminal or non criminal offense?

My boyfriend was arrested for driving an unregistered motor vehicle, the truck belongs to a guy he works for. I'm slightly confused as to if it is a non criminal traffic infraction because the vehicle has not been unregistered for more than 6 months or if that only applies if the registration has been EXPIRED less than 6 months. The registration was recently transferred from the truck to a car. My boyfriend was unaware of this. I understand he is legally responsible (although that is questionable in my eyes) but again I'm not sure if the law only applies to the expiration of a registration or just being registered in general.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Elizabeth Bourdon
Elizabeth Bourdon
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Orlando, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: The easiest way to know is by the case number. If the case number has a TR after the year, it's a civil traffic infraction. If it has CT, it's a criminal traffic violation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.