Miami, FL asked in Criminal Law for Florida

Q: I am charged with first degree petit theft , this is my first offense with a clean background ... What will happen to me

I am a 19 year old female . I live in Port Charlotte County and I'm in school and trying to find a job . Will I get probation ? Will they drop/dismiss my case ? Is my probation transferable ?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Elizabeth Bourdon
Elizabeth Bourdon
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Orlando, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: I can't tell you for sure whether your case will be dropped or not, because I don't have access to any of the allegations (and you were right not to post anything further online). If you have no criminal history, it is very likely that you will be offered pretrial diversion. With pretrial diversion, you follow the program guidelines and do an anti-shoplifting class, community service, etc., and if you complete everything successfully, the State then drops the charge against you. The arrest will still show on your record, so you would then need to expunge that arrest after you successfully complete diversion. If the State does not file a formal charge against you, the arrest will still show on your record, so you'll still need to expunge that. Good luck to you!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.