Asked in Criminal Law for Florida

Q: how to write the letter to the judge, that I can't be in the court at that day?

I am from Ukraine and was arrested in Florida.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Elizabeth Bourdon
Elizabeth Bourdon
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Orlando, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: If you are represented by an attorney, you'll need to have the attorney address this issue. If you cannot afford an attorney, try contacting the Public Defender's Office in the County where you were arrested and see if they can provide you with an affidavit of indigency to have you appointed to their office so that they can represent you. Some charges can be taken care of while you are in the Ukraine, and some cannot. At some point, you may be required to appear in court and if you can't be there, a warrant will be issued for your arrest. This warrant will of course prevent you from being able to come back to the United States. If you cannot contact the Public Defender's Office and you cannot hire an attorney, only then should you write to the judge and let the judge know that you had to return to the Ukraine and that you are requesting a new court date and give a reasonable time as to when you can come back to court, and explain that a warrant for failing to appear could prevent your ability from coming back to the U.S. to resolve the charge. The court won't let very much time go by, and may only give you a two week extension, so it's really in your best interest to try to get an attorney on your case as soon as possible.

Good luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.