Fultondale, AL asked in Domestic Violence, Personal Injury and Libel & Slander for Alabama

Q: My soon to be ex wife came home drunk from work. She verbally and physically abused me. I videod the entire incident

I filed a police report and she has been charged with domestic assault. The same night she kicked my 2 girls, ages 19 months and 5 years old out of the house with nowhere to go. I had to miss work for 4 days because she changed the locks and would not let us get any clothes, personal effects, furniture, etc. This caused me to lose my job. We slept in my truck for a couple nights until I found a place to stay. She also has been slandering me, telling everyone that I got her that night but the police found no wrong doing on my part. Can I sue her for this to try to recoup some of my expenses and loss of income

1 Lawyer Answer

A: The short answer is maybe, but the wise answer is that it is not worth the trouble. You have got to get into Court with all of this and get custody of the children (I am assuming the children are not yours alone, but yours and hers) If you had gotten into Court immediately on this you would be in better shape. File your lawsuit and get going on this. The Court can consider all of the things you mentioned in your question when the Court divides property.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.