Asked in Appeals / Appellate Law for New Hampshire

Q: I filed a motion for the judge to reconsider her decision on Dec. 10th, The clerk did not type this up until Dec 31.

I received on jan 3rd and filed my motion on the 8th of Jan within the ten days alotted. The judge denied my request saying it was past the 10 days to file?! Can she do this if it wasn't even typed up to be sent to me until the 31st?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Israel Piedra
Israel Piedra
  • Appeals & Appellate Lawyer
  • Nashua, NH
  • Licensed in New Hampshire

A: You must file a motion for reconsideration within 10 days of the Clerk's "Notice of Decision". If you believe there was an error, it might be wise to retain an attorney to review your file. Remember, you typically have 30 days from the rejection of a motion for reconsideration to file an appeal to the N.H. Supreme Court.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.