New Hampshire Appeals / Appellate Law Questions & Answers

Q: If you lose an appeal can you appeal again?

1 Answer | Asked in Appeals / Appellate Law for New Hampshire on
Answered on Mar 9, 2018
Israel Piedra's answer
Most likely, no.

Q: Hello my child is currently in juvenile court over a charge of a pot pipe. She has a lawyer and I asked him to appeal

1 Answer | Asked in Appeals / Appellate Law and Juvenile Law for New Hampshire on
Answered on Apr 1, 2017
Joseph D Garrison's answer
Although you are the parent and a party to the case, the lawyer's duty is to the child. The child is the one who needs to tell the lawyer what they want to do.

Q: What are some reasons why an appellate court might not agree to hear an appeal of a personal injury case (premises

1 Answer | Asked in Appeals / Appellate Law for New Hampshire on
Answered on Feb 15, 2017
Israel Piedra's answer
If you're talking about the New Hampshire Supreme Court, most appeals (including personal injury cases) would be "mandatory," i.e., the Supreme Court would always accept the appeal, assuming the correct procedures are followed. The Court might not hold oral argument in every case, but they would accept the case and issue a decision.

Q: how do you appeal a final decision from dover new hampshire district court

1 Answer | Asked in Appeals / Appellate Law for New Hampshire on
Answered on Oct 9, 2016
Israel Piedra's answer
Typically, you would file a motion to reconsider first in the district court, within 10 days of the district court's final decision.

You have 30 days from the date of the district court's decision to the Supreme Court. An attorney can help you determine whether you have any appeallable issues. Typically, fact determinations will not be overturned on appeal, only issues of law. You must have "preserved" any appeallable issues either at trial or via a motion to reconsider.

Q: I filed a motion for the judge to reconsider her decision on Dec. 10th, The clerk did not type this up until Dec 31.

1 Answer | Asked in Appeals / Appellate Law for New Hampshire on
Answered on Feb 22, 2016
Israel Piedra's answer
You must file a motion for reconsideration within 10 days of the Clerk's "Notice of Decision". If you believe there was an error, it might be wise to retain an attorney to review your file. Remember, you typically have 30 days from the rejection of a motion for reconsideration to file an appeal to the N.H. Supreme Court.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.