Pompano Beach, FL asked in Bankruptcy and Elder Law for Florida

Q: I know of a senior citizen who is disabled, and needs to find a lawyer to do pro bono for a Chapter 7 for her. Help

I'm a close friend of the senior who needs help. I help her with getting her to her appointments, etc. I recently took her to her bank, where she was told by the manager of the bank that she has a outstanding bill with them, and if it is not paid soon, they will garnish her disability check. Well I was livid, because my friend has slight dementia and she had know ideal what this young man was talking about. I then intervened and explained to this young man her condition which most of the staff of the bank were aware of, so his comment was in appropriate and if it were not for the fact that he was a transferred manager from another branch I would have had a mouth full for him, and beyond. However, I kept calm and explained to the manager that she is in the midst of filing for bankruptcy, please hold back with the threats so she can file. He agreed to hold off for now.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Keith Petrochko
Keith Petrochko
  • Lake Mary, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Garnishments don't happen overnight, but you certainly shouldn't wait to act on past due bills. There are many attorneys and legal clinics that would be happy to help. Contact the Florida Bar's lawyer referral service for help finding pro bono help; they can be reached at (800) 342-8011.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.