Fort Lauderdale, FL asked in Consumer Law and Employment Law for Florida

Q: Can I file an unemployment against Groupon for removing my company when they were my only source of income?

Groupon retaliated against my company when I refused to sign another contract that paid 50% below the cost. After saying, "No" for several weeks, the sales rep replied that I was, "Harsh and aggressive", and she stated she was going to have my company removed from Groupon. This woman came after me several times and even found me on social networking platforms. At first, I did not take the threat seriously because she contacted a second company. However, she tied both my companies together and had my original company removed from Groupon.

I may lose my business and my home this month because Groupon is my only income. They also sent me a 1099k for $25,000 and only paid me $9,000. This violates my contract because I agreed to 50% of the voucher sales. In addition, Groupon has a strong monopoly in my town. I have tried to leave Groupon for 3 years and I fail every time. I have tried FB, Yelp, Twitter, Google, and LivingSocial without success.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

A: No, you cannot get unemployment with them. You were not their employee. You may have some contractual claims against them, though doubtful. I would suggest finding a local business law/contracts attorney to review your contracts though.

Keith Petrochko
Keith Petrochko
  • Lake Mary, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You may be able to file, but you won't be successful.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.