Pawtucket, RI asked in Collections for Rhode Island

Q: I have a civil lawsuit brought on me by a collection agency I am not working have no income what can happen?

In 2007 I received a care credit card from GE Capital . I believe the amt owed was around 300.00 for service prefomed by Aspen Dental

I did default on paymnts The fig they are looking for is 1.089.00 penalties and interest I did not receive much correspondence from them until January of this yr . By a collection Agency this debt was taken of my credit report last yr If this goes in frount of a Judge what can happin? Will I go to Jail or since I have no income will it be dismissed or will I be made to make some type of payment to satisfiy debt?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Neville Bedford
Neville Bedford
  • Licensed in Rhode Island

A: If you do not appear, answer, nor defend the case, you will likely be defaulted. The judgement creditor may wait until you are employed or have other resources before asking the court to enforce the judgement. If your current condition continues and you have no assets, you may be "judgment proof" meaning that even though they have a judgement against you, you have no ability to pay. If you have other debts and have been out of work for some time, it may be worth your while to meet with an attorney specializing in Bankruptcy to explore discharging the debts. Contact the Rhode Island Bar association for a referral or to get on the Volunteer Lawyer Program waiting list.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.