Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In

Rhode Island Collections Questions & Answers

2 Answers | Asked in Car Accidents, Traffic Tickets and Collections for Rhode Island on

Q: hello my license is suspended for the unsatisfied judgement act I was wondering Wat I could do to help me straighten out

I was never served papers and never had my day in court I went to re-new my license and was told about the unsatisfied judgment law

Neville Bedford answered on Jan 2, 2017

Meet with an attorney. Be prepared to compensate them for the time it will take for them to research your case and advise you.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Collections for Rhode Island on

Q: There has been a civil lawsuit filed against me by a collection agency

I Previously asked this question and got a great explanation I owe approx. 990.00 purchase was made in 2007 on a cc Now the collection agency has filed against me in court Question 1 I cannot afford a lawyer I am unemployed, so how do I answer to their lawsuit wait till court hearing? or... Read more »

Neville Bedford answered on May 7, 2016

If you don't qualify for legal aid and cannot afford a lawyer, you must comport with the court rules and procedures and defend yourself. the Summons will tell you how long you have to file your answer with the court to avoid being defaulted. The judges will likely frown on your inability to know... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Collections for Rhode Island on

Q: I have a civil lawsuit brought on me by a collection agency I am not working have no income what can happen?

In 2007 I received a care credit card from GE Capital . I believe the amt owed was around 300.00 for service prefomed by Aspen Dental

I did default on paymnts The fig they are looking for is 1.089.00 penalties and interest I did not receive much correspondence from them until January of... Read more »

Neville Bedford answered on Mar 20, 2016

If you do not appear, answer, nor defend the case, you will likely be defaulted. The judgement creditor may wait until you are employed or have other resources before asking the court to enforce the judgement. If your current condition continues and you have no assets, you may be "judgment proof"... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Collections and Health Care Law for Rhode Island on

Q: My mother inlaw was in a nursing home for two week hospice paid first five day the she was denied Medicare she die on

1/2/2016 are we responsible for her bill at the nursing home we live in Rhode Island

Neville Bedford answered on Mar 16, 2016

Sorry for your loss. If you signed a guarantee for her medical costs, you may be contractually obliged to pay.

1 Answer | Asked in Collections for Rhode Island on

Q: my boyfriend owes me 80,000 dollars. I live in RI. He now lives in FL. What state do I sue him in and which court?

Neville Bedford answered on May 20, 2015

That depends on where the contract you wrote says you may sue. (Of course you wrote a contract for a loan of that magnitude). Also, when you meet with and retain an attorney to assist you, you will have a good idea of where his assets are, that you may seize if you are successful in your action.... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Collections for Rhode Island on

Q: How do i find out if there is a wage garnishment on my wages

Neville Bedford answered on Apr 20, 2014

Look at your pay stub.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.