Washington, DC asked in Criminal Law for District of Columbia

Q: I was recently arrested in Delaware. I live in DC and cant make it on my court date. Is there a way to extend my date?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Quentin Douglas Driskell Esq.
Quentin Douglas Driskell Esq.
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Washington, DC
  • Licensed in District of Columbia

A: That would depend on what you were arrested for, and the reason you can't make the court date. You, most probably, will not be able to get a new court date. You should obtain counsel in Delaware immediately and inform him/her of the reason you want a new date. The more serious to offense, the less likely it is the court would agree to a continuance.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.