Marietta, GA asked in Car Accidents for Georgia

Q: I rear-ended somebody. Other driver took off. My car is totalled. I was cited for FTC. Can I have charge dismissed?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Troy Windel Marsh Jr
Troy Windel Marsh Jr
  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Statesboro, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: There is no way to answer your specific question with any degree of certainty because we do not have enough information. If there were no other witnesses besides you and the other driver, and assuming you have not incriminated yourself, the prosecutor will not be able to prove your guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. In that event, you would be acquitted, which is not the same as the case being dismissed but is effectively a win nonetheless. I disagree with Ms. Rice that the damage to your car should be covered under your uninsured motorists coverage. Uninsured motorist insurance is a matter of contract between you and your insurer and applies when the tortfeasor (the AT-FAULT motorist) is uninsured or underinsured. Here, you were the at-fault driver, so your uninsured motorist insurance will not apply. However, if you had no liability insurance and the other driver had uninsured motorist insurance, the other driver could make a claim for uninsured motorist insurance benefits. Think of uninsured motorist insurance like you are buying liability insurance for the uninsured driver. My website is

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.