Asked in Collections for California

Q: I need to satisfy a judgment, and the creditor is slowly responding to my request. How can I speed up this process?

I am a judgment debtor in Anaheim, CA. I am trying to satisfy a judgment for a unlawful detainer from a few years ago. The judgment creditor no longer has the same attorney that handled the case. The judgment creditor is in the process of trying to contact their current attorney, and as I am the judgment debtor, I am playing the waiting game. I was wondering if I could speed up the process by filling the satisfaction of judgment myself after paying the judgment creditor. And once this is filed, I can have the judgment removed from my record and credit report.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Sergio G. Chaidez
Sergio G. Chaidez
  • Collections Lawyer
  • San Diego, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: If you are representing yourself, then you can contact their attorney directly; there is no need to go through the judgment-creditor if you are representing yourself. If you pay the judgment in full, the judgment-creditor must file the acknowledgement of satisfaction of judgment with the court immediately. If they do not, then you can make a formal, written demand that they do so. The judgment-creditor then will have 15 days to file it, and if they do not, then you have cause of action against them for any damages their delay causes you. See Code of Civil Procedure sections 724.030 and 724.050. Damages can include failure to obtain a loan or employment as a result of an inaccurate credit report; any fees related to the suit to acknowledge payment; and statutory award of $100.00

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.