Asked in Collections for California

Q: Getting my wages garnished. I was sued by GCFS INC and lost but I have never received any court notice. What can I do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Sergio G. Chaidez
Sergio G. Chaidez
  • Collections Lawyer
  • San Diego, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Hello. Did you know about the lawsuit, or did you only learn about it once they started garnishing your wages? The plaintiff is required to give you proper notice of the lawsuit so that you can defend yourself. If they did not do that, and you have proof, then you possibly can undo their victory and force them 1) give you back your garnished wages; and 2) allow you to defend against their lawsuit in court. Time is important. The longer you wait to resolve this, the less likely it will be that you will succeed. What you want to do is "vacate the judgment."

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.