Erie, PA asked in Elder Law, Family Law, Contracts and Estate Planning for Pennsylvania

Q: What are my rights as a live in companion for my elderly grandmother who I take care of out of love?

Gramma gets railroad retirement benefits, my husband gets social security, and I have no income, though I do bring food stamps into the household as part of the two thirds of the food we contribute. She maintains the house, ie a new roof, her car repairs, etc. The utility bills are in her name, though part of taking care of Gramma means that I actually PAY them. My husband pays for her phone and both of her TVs upstairs, we have our own in the finished basement. Household expenses are further shared by Gram paying 1/3 of the food bill, and 1/2 of other purchases towards the household, such as charcoal grills, new wash cloths, etc. Thank you for your time.

1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Scoblionko
Mark Scoblionko
  • Allentown, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: It is not really clear what your question is--your "rights" as to what? Generally, without some type of contract, you would have no rights to anything. If your grandmother were to die without a Will, and if she has no living children, however, you, along with any other grandchildren, would inherit her estate. However, your rights would be no greater than any other grandchild's.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.