Washington, DC asked in Criminal Law for District of Columbia

Q: can i get barred from an apartment complex by false accusations

i was told by my mother in-law that if i come back on the property i will get arrested and he will get a 30days notice because they say i threaten the neighbor in front of the police. nothing is being done about these false accusation but me being put off the property for no reason

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

A: You may have a suit for defamation. But property owners can exclude people at will, so long as they're not violating any contracts or statutes (e.g., discrimination). The best first step is an Initial Consultation with an Attorney. You can read more about me on my law practice website. This answer does not constitute legal advice; make any predictions, guarantees, or warranties; or create any Attorney-Client relationship.

Quentin Douglas Driskell
Quentin Douglas Driskell
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Washington, DC
  • Licensed in District of Columbia

A: I had a case where my client was barred from a senior citizen residence because he had a history of not signing in. If an order barring you from an apartment complex was issued by a court with the proper jurisdiction and in compliance with procedure ( you were aware of the order and had an opportunity to defend yourself. Then you should comply with the order. After the order is issued you must comply until the order is vacated, even if the accusation on which the order was based was a lie.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.