Asked in Collections and Criminal Law for Ohio

Q: I signed a payroll check over to husband for $297 and he cashed it at a local store. The check bounced 6 months ago.

Police just showed up at our home and said If it is not payed by Friday the store is pressing charges and he will be arrested. We called the store where he cashed and offered a pmt plan since money is really tight and he said no if it is not paid by Friday he will press charges. What will happen if we can't pay full amount? Will my husband get arrested and go to jail? Thanks

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Cleveland, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: One or both of you could face a charge for passing a bad check. If you do, ask the court for an attorney. You have to commit the offense knowing the check will not cash. Depending upon the circumstances, there may be a strong argument you had no idea a payroll check was no good.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.