Asked in Education Law, Libel & Slander and Personal Injury for Michigan

Q: Can I sue my teacher or the school?

I have a teacher (I am in high school) that says my acid reflux condition is not a valid excuse for me to miss her class even if I am vomiting. She also refuses to help me or give me clarification on assignments because of this. A fellow student messaged me as I was in the office saying that our teacher was on the phone saying I was never going to graduate early and read my attendance record aloud for the entire class to hear as she was on the phone. This is not the only thing either. She causes me to have mental breakdowns quite often even if it is a simple question or asking for help. She is passive aggressive, disrespectful, and unprofessional as a teacher. Bottom line is; Can I sue my teacher for the spreading of personal information, defamation of character, and emotional distress? Thank you.

1 Lawyer Answer
Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing

A: Unlikely. If you do have a medical condition your parents need to ask for an IEP (individual educational plan) to allow you education without harassment. If you don't have to be in her class after this year you can see what procedures are in place to require schools to take and record compalints. Contact a member of the Michigan Trial Lawyers Assn who handles Education Law to be sure of all your rights.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.