Woodland, WA asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Juvenile Law for Washington

Q: I want to be emancipated but don't know if my case is strong enough?

I want to enlist for emancipation but I want to know if my case is strong enough to be granted. My mother is married to my step father and they have 3 kids and I'm extremely unhappy and put down by them. Im emotionally absuised and I don't want to be in this house anymore. I have my own car that I purchased and a home in which open arms are willing to take me to, I have a job in line...but my parents won't let me take it. I have been emotionally hurt by their words and actions but no physical abuise. I am very mature and helped raised the kids my entire life being as a second mom. I'm tired of being treated the way I am at home and am not getting anywhere because my parents hold me back. My mom didn't inform me of my birth father until I was 13 and isn't giving me the chance to see him. I just want to care for myself and be on my own now. I was moved from my home where I was working and they have called me several times informing me my job is waiting and they want me b

1 Lawyer Answer
Marjorie Simmons
Marjorie Simmons
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Burlington, WA
  • Licensed in Washington

A: You can find some information about emancipation at http://www.washingtonlawhelp.org/search?q=emancipation. Consider your situation carefully, as you don't want to get caught up in a child protective services situation. Sometimes when we are pretty grown up but not yet of age, we can feel so impatient to be on our own that we make decisions that we later regret. I remember those days vividly, and despite the issues I faced, I am glad I stayed put until I did. Even if you're not a religious person, consider going to see a minister/pastor/priest to get another viewpoint, because what you way to them stays private, just like with an attorney, but their counseling is free. Parents are never perfect, and some are a lot less perfect than others, but sometimes staying put, at least until you graduate high school, can be the best answer. You have to make up your own mind, but take your time and talk to others as much as you can. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.