Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Washington Juvenile Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Juvenile Law for Washington on
Q: to use a confession of a juvenile custodial interrogation as evidence does it have to be recorded?
Patrick Owen Earl
Patrick Owen Earl answered on May 19, 2020

You need to get an attorney if you don't have one. This is a question for your attorney. One would have to have all the necessary information to answer this correctly and completely. Hire an experienced criminal defense attorney NOW.

2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law, Internet Law and Juvenile Law for Washington on
Q: My 14 year old daughter has been charged felony harassment. This is her 1st offence. Will she be found guilty?

She had just got suspended from school for fighting the girl she sent the snapchat to. In the snapchat it states some people have "shooters". She was charged with felony harassment. What should be my next step?

Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin answered on Oct 27, 2019

Stop talking and writing by everyone.

Retain an attorney

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Juvenile Law for Washington on
Q: Is there a limit of how long they can hold a minor on probable cause in detention?
Cristine Beckwith
Cristine Beckwith answered on Aug 21, 2019

A detention hearing must be held within 72 hours. That time period may be extended if the arrest falls on a weekend or holiday.

At that hearing the Judge will release the juvenile unless there is finding that further detention is required to ensure their appearance in court or to protect...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Juvenile Law for Washington on
Q: If put on probation as a juvenile and go on warrant status for probation violation will it be carried over as an adult?

Already pleaed guilty to his charges but was put on probation till a month after he's 18 . Now he has a warrant for not checking in . Willl his warrant be dropped or will it be carried over as an adult ?

Cristine Beckwith
Cristine Beckwith answered on Jul 29, 2019

Warrants generally freeze everything until they are quashed and the underlying issue addressed. The Court will continue to have jurisdiction over him even after he is 18.

He should contact an attorney to schedule the warrant quash hearing and assist him in ending probation and closing the...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Juvenile Law for Washington on
Q: can I ask my daughters lawyer to schedual court date so my daughter can speak to the judge after she has been sentenced

She got 33 days because she rolled her eyes at the judge she was suppose to get 15 in custody and 15 on house arrest the judge got up set and said all 30 in costly can she right apologize letter and go back to court

Ali Shahrestani, Esq.
Ali Shahrestani, Esq. answered on Dec 24, 2018

This decision should be made by your lawyer, and you may request that of the lawyer. Is your daughter a minor or an adult, however? More details are necessary to provide a professional analysis of your issue. The best first step is an Initial Consultation with an Attorney such as myself. You can... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Juvenile Law for Washington on
Q: getting into a fight with a 17 year old, but youre 18, they started it,and youre defending yourself. how much trouble?
Ali Shahrestani, Esq.
Ali Shahrestani, Esq. answered on Dec 24, 2018

Self defense may be a valid justification, but it depends on the facts. If you continued or escalated the violence beyond what was immediately and reasonably required to defend yourself from an actual attack, the justification may be invalidated. Assault on a minor is an aggravating factor in the... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Juvenile Law for Washington on
Q: My 14 yr old son was charged with 4th degree assault and arrested what will happen to him

My son got into a altercation at school where he was pushing another kid because the kid was bullying his friend. they ended up wrestling around and my son allegedly punched him in the face..they have a video of it but they cant say 100% that his fist hit the kids he's charged with... Read more »

Jennifer Melissa Azure
Jennifer Melissa Azure answered on Nov 14, 2017

Your son should qualify for a diversion agreement if he has no prior criminal history and no prior diversions. This would be completed instead of an actual court action against him. He may be required to attend a class, meet with a diversion board or some type of remedial service. The benefit of a... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Education Law and Juvenile Law for Washington on
Q: How old do you have to be to drop out of highschool on your own in Washington state?
Ryan Ford
Ryan Ford answered on Jul 11, 2017

Like all other states, Washington State has a compulsory attendance law. For Washington, children from 8 - 18 must attend school with few exceptions.

1 Answer | Asked in Domestic Violence, Family Law, Immigration Law and Juvenile Law for Washington on
Q: can a child of a U.S citizen with an expired visa get emancipated if his parent is abusive?

the child is suicidal and the parent the primary cause. the child is 16 turning 17 in February 2018

Amanda B Cook
Amanda B Cook answered on Jun 5, 2017

The short answer to the question is yes. But please seek the counsel of an experienced immigration attorney to help you do so.

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Personal Injury and Juvenile Law for Washington on
Q: If you're siblings attacks you and your mom won't do anything about it, am I entitled to any rights to leave?

my younger sibling keeps hitting me and verbally abusing me and I refuse to hit her back unless I really need to defend myself and unfortunately the situation has continued and my Mom has not done anything about it. She claims she does but still not working. This happens when my mom is at work... Read more »

Peter N. Munsing
Peter N. Munsing answered on Feb 16, 2017

Talk to a counselor. Becoming an "emancipated minor " is tough and not always easy.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Juvenile Law for Washington on
Q: Is it legal for a police officer to talk and question my 11yr old son about a family friend,without a parents consent.

The school didn't let us know,that they called him out of class and allowed a police officer to ask my son,how does he know a guy named Ben? My son said it's my dad's friend. Then he asked my son,where does he live? My son said next door to us. and my son said he asked another... Read more »

Brian Lehman
Brian Lehman answered on Jan 16, 2017

Yes, police may question a child who may have witnessed or been the victim of a crime= just as the police may question an adult. The police do not need permission from a parent or a court first.

But if a parent is present then the parent may refuse to allow the child to be interviewed. A...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Juvenile Law for Washington on
Q: I want to be emancipated but don't know if my case is strong enough?

I want to enlist for emancipation but I want to know if my case is strong enough to be granted. My mother is married to my step father and they have 3 kids and I'm extremely unhappy and put down by them. Im emotionally absuised and I don't want to be in this house anymore. I have my own... Read more »

Marjorie Simmons
Marjorie Simmons answered on Jul 6, 2016

You can find some information about emancipation at Consider your situation carefully, as you don't want to get caught up in a child protective services situation. Sometimes when we are pretty grown up but not yet of age, we can feel so... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law and Juvenile Law for Washington on
Q: I'm 16 and 8 months pregnant can I do the fiancé visa with parents permission for my 25 year old boyfriend?
Shan Dimitris Potts
Shan Dimitris Potts answered on Dec 30, 2015

You can but you would need a petition the court to get a special license to marry. I see your question is from washington where the legal age to marry with parental consent is 17, since you are 8 months pregnant it might a good reason to get the license which is given for people who want to get... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning, Family Law and Juvenile Law for Washington on
Q: In Washington State can a 16 year old live on their own if both parents pass away? (We are working on our will)

We'd prefer not to set up guardianship for our 16 year old since there is no one suitable to take her. We have a trust set up in our will with an executor to handle her finances from our estate.

Robert Jason De Groot
Robert Jason De Groot answered on Sep 8, 2015

Probably not. Go to see an attorney about this for the specific legal advice you need.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.