Montgomery, AL asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes, Family Law and Domestic Violence for Alabama

Q: Can I drop DV charges against my Ex if it has been over 2 year w/o an arrest?

It's been over 2 years but less than 3 years that I filed a police report for domestic violence against my ex. He was never arrested and I have never been updated on the case staus as far as if he's going to jail or what. I do know that they were looking for him bc they showed his picture on the news 2 years ago, multiple times around the time it happened. Can I get the charges dropped? I've basically moved on with my life and I dont want to have to deal with that anymore. Also I looked in the public records online and I see no warrant for arrest for him. I found out after I file my report he had other charges from his ex. They were 3rd degree dv, menacing, and harassment. I never heard anything abiut what he was going to be charged with in my case so im not even sure if I still have a case.

1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph A. Ingram
Joseph A. Ingram
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Vestavia Hills, AL
  • Licensed in Alabama

A: The best way is just not show up for court and the DA will have to dismiss the case for lack of prosecution

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.