Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In

Alabama Federal Crimes Questions & Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Alabama on

Q: Can 2 people be charged federally for something that was picked up by the feds.

If 2 people were in the car at the time of a traffic stop and a large quantity of drugs were found. One person claims the drug and both were incarcerated. The driver for the drugs and the passenger for obstruction of government operations. The passenger charges were later dismissed. Can they both... Read more »

Gary Kollin answered on Aug 21, 2019


1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Alabama on

Q: I was arrested in May 2018 for stealing almost 3000 dollars from my job.

I still don't have a court date. I paid it all back in full and even wrote an apology letter to the CEO. This is my first offense. Is it possible for me to just receive probation?

William Jaksa answered on Aug 11, 2019

Receiving just 'probation' means that you were convicted of an offence and that was your sentence. An apology letter and paying back the money shows that you're serious and remorseful. If you want to avoid a conviction think of perhaps some community service and perhaps addressing the issues, if... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Appeals / Appellate Law, Federal Crimes and Municipal Law for Alabama on

Q: Hi, can someone please assist me in understanding in what jurisdiction do I hire an attorney please.

During the time my husband was serving time in Georgia, he missed 2 court appearances in Alabama. Alabama now has him being held for extradition in the grounds of fugitive of justice. His time served in Georgia was ended on 3/24/19, However, Georgia is saying they can hold him as long as Alabama... Read more »

Gary Kollin answered on Mar 28, 2019

You could have possibly saved your husband a considerable amount of jail tome if you would have hired an attorney in Alabama when he was serving his sentence. The attorney could have had your husband transferred to Alabama undwr the Interstate Agreement on Detainers.

He will always need an...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Federal Crimes and Criminal Law for Alabama on

Q: I was on imvu girl claimed to be over 18 had no idea she was 13 till i asked she persuaded me sexually should i worry

Im bipolar dont understand law and if reported how long before arrest

Samuel G McKerall answered on Apr 19, 2018

Yes, you should worry. You posted this under "Federal Crimes". Its unlikely to be a federal crime, unless you took the girl across a state line for the purpose of having sex with her, or maybe if you had sex with her on federal property, like Redstone Arsenal, which is next door to your town.... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Federal Crimes, Internet Law, Juvenile Law and Sexual Harassment for Alabama on

Q: An underage (but of the age of consent) sent me a kinda suggestive picture, am I in trouble?

We had spoken for a while with a romantic tone, and she out of the blue sent me a picture last night of her in a baggy top with a bit of her chest showing. I'm really scared

Samuel G McKerall answered on Mar 30, 2018


WARNING: I am not your lawyer and providing you with the generic information, definition, clarification or explanation you seek about a legal matter on this anonymous forum does not make me your lawyer. By answering your question I am only trying to provide you with general...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Alabama on

Q: How much money do I got to steal in a credit card fraud case for it to go to Federal court in Alabama

Samuel G McKerall answered on May 5, 2017

Let me get this straight: You're about to go steal money by fraudulent use of credit cards and you want lawyers, who are officers of the courts, to advise you how much money you will need to steal in order to insure that you will be prosecuted in federal court rather than state court.

Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Alabama on

Q: Why is this law not applied exactly as its written?

15-5-30 is wrongly applied by LEO pretty regularly and even by overzealous ADOC guards. Why is this law not applied directly as it is written? If I am arrested for failure to ID do I have a deprivation of rights under color of law case if I committed no crime and the officer has no RAS or PC?

Samuel G McKerall answered on Feb 2, 2017

What law are you referring to?

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Federal Crimes for Alabama on

Q: the best way to file a successive rule 32 petition

capital offense , in collateral stage , federal level , all claims denied

Samuel G McKerall answered on Jan 16, 2017

This question isn't real clear. Taking an educated guess, it appears that you may mean that a person was convicted of a capital offense, and that the defendant has exhausted all levels of relief in federal court. You ask about a "successive Rule 32 petition". If by "successive", you mean that... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Federal Crimes for Alabama on

Q: Was just wandering if in the state of Virginia, Norfolk 2b exact, there's a federal rule 13(d)??..

This has 2 do with a federal crime (murder)

Samuel G McKerall answered on Jan 16, 2017

I'm going to try to answer this question about even though it appears to involve an issue in Norfolk, Virginia, and I'm in Alabama, because its apparently about federal rules, which are the same in all 50 states. That said, the question can't be answered without additional information. The... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Federal Crimes, Family Law and Domestic Violence for Alabama on

Q: Can I drop DV charges against my Ex if it has been over 2 year w/o an arrest?

It's been over 2 years but less than 3 years that I filed a police report for domestic violence against my ex. He was never arrested and I have never been updated on the case staus as far as if he's going to jail or what. I do know that they were looking for him bc they showed his picture on the... Read more »

Joseph A. Ingram answered on Jul 1, 2016

The best way is just not show up for court and the DA will have to dismiss the case for lack of prosecution

1 Answer | Asked in Federal Crimes for Alabama on

Q: My dad was convictied of a horrible crime in the early seventies, but he says he didn't do it

Joseph A. Ingram answered on May 13, 2015

First thank you for taking this step. However, there is much needed information to answer your question. Is he still in jail, what was the charge? did he have a trial or enter a guilty plea? did he appeal his conviction?

if you have any of this information and would like to discuss,...
Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.